After 13 days of quarantine, all the red spots from Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) disappeared! Many friends and family didn’t know what HFMD is or what to do.
This diagnosis was new to us as well. I spent hours searching websites, reading blogs and talking to other mommas.
The Centers of Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) states: “Hand, foot, and mouth disease is caused by viruses that belong to the Enterovirus genus (group), which includes polioviruses, coxsackieviruses, echoviruses, and other enteroviruses.” The virus can be in saliva, sputum, blister fluids or feces so it is easily contagious, especially the first seven days.
As each body reacts differently and there are different strains of the virus, I will share our experience to help others if possible.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
- DAY 1
- Big (four-year-old son) started with 25 red dots around his mouth at bedtime. They appeared between supper and bedtime.
- Sweet Pea (three-year-old daughter) had a sore throat.
- DAY 2
- Big had some spots on this hands.
- Sweet Pea had a fever, congestion and a sore throat.
- DAY 3
- Big had about 10 spots on each foot and 154 on his hands.
- Sweet Pea had a mild fever in the morning with 20 red spots popping up around her mouth at bedtime.
- I (mama) had blisters on the roof of my mouth with red spots on the back of my neck (where the littles ones’ hands rest during hugs) and behind my knees.
- DAY 4
- Big had more red spots pop up on his hands, wrist, feet and ears.
- Sweet Pea’s red spots continued to appear on her mouth and hands.
- I had 20 new red spots on my hands.
- DAY 5-7
- Big’s red spots became brown in color, no fluid or blisters, just dots.
- Sweet Pea got a few red spots on her feet.
- My mouth blisters healed.
- DAY 8-13
- All our red spots slowly disappeared.
We used the following for the first ten days of HFMD to boost our immune systems, prevent inflammation & itching and offer pain relief:
- Children’s Pain Reliever: 5 ml/ as needed for fever (Sweet Pea’s Day 1-3)
- Pedialyte, Orange Juice & Coconut Water (hydration drinks): hourly
- Vitamin C & D: 1 tablet / daily
- Borion Oscillococcinum: 5 pellets / 3 times daily
- Sambucus Elderberry Syrup: 5 ml / 4 times daily
- Homemade Salve: Mixed in small glass bowl & applied to red spots / 3 times daily
- 4 Tbsp Coconut Oil (in paste form)
- 5 drops Young Living Tea Tree Essential Oil (antibacterial)
- 5 drops Young Living Lavender Essential Oil (skin care)
- 4 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (antiviral)
*Optional 4 drops Young Living Frankincense Essential Oil (I didn’t use since the spots were around the mouth)
I did put gloves and socks on our little ones after applying salve to soak in skin & avoid getting bedding or toys greasy.
We didn’t experience any fatigue, loss of appetite, itchy rash or blisters. I think the above home remedies helped boost our immune systems and keep our skin soft and moist.
We thank God for our recovery and look forward to exploring this new land of ours.
If you or someone in your family had HFMD, please share your treatment. 🙂
If you are interested in Young Living Essential Oils, send me a private message. I can share how they have helped our family in many ways.